156. Macdonough's Song Whether the State can loose and bind
In Heaven as well as on Earth:If it be wiser to kill mankind
157. The Law of the Jungle Now this is the Law of the Jungle -- as old and as true as the sky; And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. AAs the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back --
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
158. The Disciple He that hath a Gospel
To loose upon Mankind,Though he serve it utterly--
159. Ford O' Kabul River Kabul town's by Kabul river --
Blow the bugle, draw the sword --There I lef' my mate for ever,
160. What the People Said By the well, where the bullocks go
Silent and blind and slow --By the field where the young corn dies
162. Wilful Missing (Deserters)
There is a world outside the one you know, To which for curiousness 'Ell can't compare--
163. Hadramauti Who knows the heart of the Christian? How does he reason?
What are his measures and balances? Which is his seasonFor laughter, forbearance or bloodshed, and what devils move him
164. The Truce of the Bear Yearly, with tent and rifle, our careless white men go
By the Pass called Muttianee, to shoot in the vale below.Yearly by Muttianee he follows our white men in --
165. Beast and Man in India They killed a Child to please the Gods
In Earth's young penitence,And I have bled in that Babe's stead
166. Toomai of the Elephants I will remember what I was. I am sick of rope and chain--
I will remember my old strength and all my forest-affairs.I will not sell my back to man for a bundle of sugarcane.
167. Bridge-Guard in the Karroo ". . . and will supply details to guard the Blood River Bridge." District Orders-Lines of Communication, South African War.
168. Bill 'Awkins "'As anybody seen Bill 'Awkins?"
"Now 'ow in the devil would I know?""'E's taken my girl out walkin',
170. Pig Go, stalk the red deer o'er the heather,
Ride, follow the fox if you can!But, for pleasure and profit together,
171. M'Andrew's Hymn Lord, Thou hast made this world below the shadow of a dream,
An', taught by time, I tak' it so -- exceptin' always Steam.From coupler-flange to spindle-guide I see Thy Hand, O God --
172. As the Bell Clinks As I left the Halls at Lumley, rose the vision of a comely
Maid last season worshipped dumbly, watched with fervor from afar;And I wondered idly, blindly, if the maid would greet me kindly.
175. Norman and Saxon My son," said the Norman Baron, "I am dying, and you will be heir
To all the broad acres in England that William gave me for my shareWhen we conquered the Saxon at Hastings, and a nice little handful it is.
WORLD, take good notice, silver stars fading,
Milky hue ript, weft of white detaching,
Coals thirty-eight, baleful and burning,
Scarlet, significant, hands off warning,
Now and henceforth flaunt from these shores.