501. Li'L' Gal Oh, de weathah it is balmy an' de breeze is sighin' low.
An' de mockin' bird is singin' in de locus' by de do',
502. My Sort O' Man I don't believe in 'ristercrats
An' never did, you see;
The plain ol' homelike sorter folks
503. Dream Song Ii Pray, what can dreams avail
To make love or to mar?
The child within the cradle rail
504. Disappointed. AN old man planted and dug and tended,
Toiling in joy from dew to dew;
The sun was kind, and the rain befriended;
505. Snowin' Dey is snow upon de meddahs, dey is snow upon de hill,
An' de little branch's watahs is all glistenin' an' still;
De win' goes roun' de cabin lak a sperrit wan'erin' 'roun'.
506. Love's Draft THE draft of love was cool and sweet
You gave me in the cup,
But, ah, love's fire is keen and fleet,
507. Winter's Approach DE sun hit shine an' de win' hit blow,
Ol' Brer Rabbit be a-layin' low,
He know dat de wintah time a-comin',
508. On A Sea Wall I sit upon the old sea wall,
And watch the shimmering sea,
Where soft and white the moonbeams fall,
509. Song Wintah, summah, snow er shine,
Hit's all de same to me,
Ef only I kin call you mine,
510. To E. H. K. ON THE RECEIPT OF A FAMILIAR POEM
To me, like hauntings of a vagrant breath
511. When Sam'L Sings Hyeah dat singin' in de medders
Whaih de folks is mekin' hay?
Wo'k is pretty middlin' heavy
512. Love's Apotheosis Love me. I care not what the circling years
To me may do.
If, but in spite of time and tears,
513. Time To Tinker 'Roun'! Summah 's nice, wif sun a-shinin',
Spring is good wif greens and grass,
An' dey 's some t'ings nice 'bout wintah,
Total 513 poems written by Paul Laurence Dunbar
Poem of the day
A March Day In London by Amy Levy
The east wind blows in the street to-day;
The sky is blue, yet the town looks grey.
'Tis the wind of ice, the wind of fire,
Of cold despair and of hot desire,
Which chills the flesh to aches and pains,
And sends a fever through all the veins.